As it turns out, it's really simple to make your own.
See exhibit A:
- Some sort of bottle that seals (we got ours at Hobby Lobby, isn't it cute?)
- Cheap vodka (we used a couple of cups)
- Whole vanilla beans (we used 5)
Vanilla beans can be pricey, so you might want to find a place that sells them in bulk or order them online. If you're wondering why they're so expensive, it's because all of the growing and harvesting of the beans has to be done by hand. Isn't it strange to think that in this day and age, there are still crops that are handled without the use of machinery?
- Wrangle your vanilla beans onto a cutting board and cut a slit all the way down the bean.
- Drop the beans into your cute little bottle.
- Pour in enough vodka to cover the beans.
- Close the bottle and shake it up.
- Store in a dark cupboard and take it out to shake it up every now and then.
- As you use it, top it off every now and then with more vodka. You can reuse the same beans in this way for awhile.
If you look around on Pinterest, you can find some variations on doing this, and some free printable labels for the bottle (very cute ones!).
Linked up here:
The Self Sufficient HomeAcre